Seeking first to be understood.
- Not trying to understand your spouse but trying to get them to understand you
- Assuming you have communicated
- Assuming you are on the same page
- Taking each other for granted (laziness; busyness)
Heightened frustration and constant misunderstanding.
- Competing with each other to be understood, neither gets understood
- Increases conflict that doesn't get resolved and builds
- Eventually, stop working together
What to Do
Seek FIRST to meet your SPOUSE
- Requires knowing your spouse and how he or she communicates
- Ask appropriate questions
- Build a culture of openness and honesty
- Words that build-up your spouse
Posted in Marriage
Parenting Mistake #3 - Too Strict not Not Strict Enough
November 10th, 2022
Marriage Mistake #10 - She won't have sex. / He won't talk.
November 7th, 2022
Marriage Mistake #9 - And we'll live happily ever after!
November 3rd, 2022
Marriage Mistake #8 - No, thank you. We can handle it ourselves.
October 31st, 2022
Marriage Mistake #7 - If only my spouse would just change...
October 27th, 2022
Top 10 Marriage Mistakes and What to Do About ThemMarriage Mistake #1 - Things just seem to be getting worse no matter what we do.Marriage Mistake #2 - The Kids Come First!How to Read Your BibleMarriage Mistake #3 - What's in it for ME?Marriage Mistake #4 - Can you hear me NOW?Marriage Mistake #5 - He won't LEAD! / She won't FOLLOW!Understanding BaptismMarriage Mistake #6 - If we wait long enough, our problems will take care of themslevesMarriage Mistake #7 - If only my spouse would just change...Marriage Mistake #8 - No, thank you. We can handle it ourselves.