An unrealistic, romantic view of marriage
- The "Long Jump" view
- Short-sighted, believing romantic love is all you need.
- Crossing your fingers, hoping that the feelings of romance will last and sustain the relationship.
- Believing things will always stay the same.
- Assuming your personalities are static.
- Not adjusting to life stages and changing circumstances.
Tremendous disappointment and eventual disillusionment
- When reality sets in, you may wonder if this marriage was such a good idea
- Mistakenly believe that you have to keep feeling the same romantic feelings as when you first "fell in love," and doing things to get those feelings back
- Since romance isn't enough, you fail to do those things that are really required to make the marriage what it ought to be
- Eventually, you become disheartened about the relationship
What to Do
Strive to have a marriage that is based on a mutual commitment that grows over time.
- A foundation of mutual commitment to God, marriage, your marriage, and each other.
- "marathon View": Strengthen the foundation by being far-sighted, beginning with the end in mind, and successfully negotiating the stages that your marriage will go through.
- build upon the foundation and fortify the walls by.
- Doing the right things.
- Practicing the "One Anothers" (Prescriptions in the Bible for how to treat each other rightly.
- Build healthy boundaries around your marriage for its protection.
Posted in Marriage
Parenting Mistake #3 - Too Strict not Not Strict Enough
November 10th, 2022
Marriage Mistake #10 - She won't have sex. / He won't talk.
November 7th, 2022
Marriage Mistake #9 - And we'll live happily ever after!
November 3rd, 2022
Marriage Mistake #8 - No, thank you. We can handle it ourselves.
October 31st, 2022
Marriage Mistake #7 - If only my spouse would just change...
October 27th, 2022
Top 10 Marriage Mistakes and What to Do About ThemMarriage Mistake #1 - Things just seem to be getting worse no matter what we do.Marriage Mistake #2 - The Kids Come First!How to Read Your BibleMarriage Mistake #3 - What's in it for ME?Marriage Mistake #4 - Can you hear me NOW?Marriage Mistake #5 - He won't LEAD! / She won't FOLLOW!Understanding BaptismMarriage Mistake #6 - If we wait long enough, our problems will take care of themslevesMarriage Mistake #7 - If only my spouse would just change...Marriage Mistake #8 - No, thank you. We can handle it ourselves.